So Tina (of Carrots ‘n Cake) and Kate (of What Kate Ate) have put together “Yoga Pose May”. Basically bloggers all over blog-land are featuring different yoga poses throughout the month. I was lucky enough to be assigned a pose within the “Basic” category – Downward Facing Dog. Before I go into why this pose is so awesome, I wanted to highlight how EASY it is to incorporate a little yoga into your life!
As you can see — Yoga is a versatile activity 🙂
One of the things I love about yoga is that there are so many benefits-for your body and mind. In particular, this pose has many health benefits, such as (source):
- Calms the brain and helps relieve stress and mild depression
- Energizes the body
- Stretches the shoulders, hamstrings, calves, arches, and hands
- Strengthens the arms and legs
- Helps relieve the symptoms of menopause
- Relieves menstrual discomfort when done with head supported
- Helps prevent osteoporosis
- Improves digestion
- Relieves headache, insomnia, back pain, and fatigue
- Therapeutic for high blood pressure, asthma, flat feet, sciatica, sinusitis
You can take it for what it is, but I think that if practiced correctly, yoga can be beneficial to any person – newbie or expert. In fact, one of my goals for 2010 was to “get into” yoga – aka make it a regular part of my routine. Even a simple 5 minute series of yoga poses and stretches can make you feel better. So just know that throughout the coming weeks and months, I am going to try and incorporate yoga into my life. I’ll let you know how things go.